Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Depression Suit, Part 1

So one of the outfits I'll be working on is a "depression suit," or a suit that I hope will mimic feelings such as numbness, apathy, isolation and loss of energy that are common symptoms of depression. (This is my basic idea for the suit right now).



I'm not an expert on depression, but I've seen friends go through it, and have read others' accounts. I guess I came close to depression myself this past year, always feeling restless and frustrated and lost. I'd like to create this suit to represent those feelings, so that someone who may not know what depression is like could try on the suit and maybe feel some empathy for a condition that might be hard to understand if you haven't felt it yourself.

To help make this outfit work as well as possible, I've been searching and reading through various accounts of those who've had depression, and I'm looking into local organizations where I could contact depressed individuals about their personal experiences, so that I have a better idea of what I want my outfit to communicate.

I've already ordered a couple things to work on the suit, so I'll post more about that once they get here, because I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do yet. But to give you a hint from my search history: cold packs, plastic stuffing beads, fishing weights, weighted blankets (a treatment for autism oddly enough), asylum uniforms, circle collar jackets, beanie bags, and face cones not for dogs but for humans. Research is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment